Thursday, April 25, 2013

Across the Table




There is a place I take parents.
It’s called- The Table.
From where I sit the table is shiny.
The table is professional.
The table is all business.
They sit across from me and listen to all
my professional assessments.
Sometimes they seem hurt.
Sometimes they seem carefree.
Sometimes they seem clueless.
Sometimes they seem confused.
But rarely do I know what they really feel.
They don’t tell me.
And sometimes they skip the whole table date.
Today I was the parent.
Across the table.
The table looked different.
The table looked big.
The table looked overwhelming.
The table looked intimidating.
Am I being judged?
Can they see my insecurities?
Am I doing the right thing?
Is this the right place?
The “what ifs” start to cram my brain.
Can I do this?
Do I really know what parents 'Across the Table' feel?
I do now.
And then I listen to the professional assessments. 
I hear understanding.
I hear encouragement.
I hear kindness.
I understand more.
I hear a plan.
My muscles relaxed.
My head cleared.
We can do this.
I can do this.
We have a plan.
God trusted me with this.
He knows about my skills.
The skills I don’t know about.
He knows my children have skills.
Skills they don’t know about.
God knows what they need.
He is forging the path.
Just when I think things are bad, 
I kick the “what ifs” out of my head.
I can see the Blessing.
Part of the Blessing is that I’ve been to the other side of the table.
This is what I want to be as a parent.
This is what I want to be for parents. 
A comfort.
An encourager.
A teacher.
A Blessing.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  -Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment