Monday, January 13, 2014

My Heros

I ran across some of the neatest ideas for a Superhero party
http://www.pinterest.com/showclay/superhero-party/,

and I thought how cool would it be to use that theme for Children's Church?  
With a son of my own, I realize church lessons can appeal more to our girls.  It offers a lot of things girls enjoy- stories, crafts, coloring, sitting quietly.   Young boys tend to access information in a different way.  To anyone who doesn't believe interest is a huge motivation to learning, ask Connor to read the same sight words he has had since kindergarten and then ask him to name all the NFL mascots, teams, colors, and quarterbacks.  It's amazing what they can remember! 
I think we have to show boys the bible is packed full of action, and remember Jesus was absolutely a mover and a shaker too, he didn't reach people just sitting quietly and following all the rules.

Lucky, Superheros are fun for boys and girls!

Prior I put this video together to show the kids a few of my favorite Superheros in their many forms (I went a little crazy with the clip art)-



DIY Super Hero Capes:
Take a plastic (b.day) tablecloth (you could use a lot of superhero colors, but I kept it simple with just black and red), 
just fold over the corners and attach some yarn to each side.


I glued a square to the back of the cape, but I now recommend taping with clear tape, and if you use the glue don't put it in the center because it shows up too 'globby'.



Handsome Model






Kryptonite: 
(substitute lime green rock candy for safety :) I ordered my candy rock in bulk off of Amazon and bagged individually.)



Matthew 26:41:  41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Stay away from temptation, rather than try to resist it.  How many times do we justify that sin is OK, just this once, as long as we aren't hurting anyone?






After teaching a story that explained how Jesus is our Hero from Luke 4:18, 
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me. He has anointed me
to tell the good news to poor people.
He has sent me to announce freedom for prisoners.
He has sent me so that the blind will see again.
He wants me to free those who are beaten down"


the kids decorated their capes in a Jesus is MY hero design.



With their SUPERhero capes, the SuperKIDS completed a short obstacle course that included a Spider Walk, Batman Basketball, Wonder Woman Toss, and eventually ending by placing the scriptures in order with the correct bible verse.




Creative Designs


Superheros:  
Fighting daily to keep the word of God alive!




No comments:

Post a Comment