Monday, December 23, 2013

Humbled

Tonight my husband taught me the true meaning of Christmas.
He would NEVER tell this story.
But of course I can.




It started with a bag of apples.
I went to the store today with a specific list.
I would be preparing my first turkey.
I did the research on the Google
(thirty minutes worth).
I wrote down the perfect list (including the meat thermometer and turkey tray).
But, somehow I had accidentally put two bags of apples in the cart instead of one.
I came home.
Darren looked through each item (mentally calculating the damage).
We have went over budget this month.
TO add to the pressure, it is December 23 and two out of three of Connor’s Santa’s gift have not arrived via UPS.
(the child is going to have to open pictures on Christmas morning with IOUs from Santa!?!)

Anyway, back to the apples.
I told Darren not to worry, we could pass them off for Christmas gifts, or maybe we could EAT two bags of apples instead of the box of cookies I bought.
OUT OF THE BLUE, Darren says, 'I know a family that needs these apples and this turkey.  I think I will take it by their house'.
He then went through all our cabinets taking things out as I was putting them back in....



excuse meeeeee
I was planning to cook. the. turkey.
We need this, and we need that, put that back......
Apparently, a while back a man had asked to have money from Darren while he was on the sales lot.  The man told him his address and said he needed gas. 

Are you kidding!?  We are going to a strangers house with a thawed turkey?


Fine. Whatever.  Let’s do this.  I hope you know what you are doing.
In piled the family with a few bags of food, INCLUDING my first turkey.

When we arrived, 
I immediately wished I had cleared out every single thing in my house for this family.
I was the innkeeper that had no room.
I saw a small shack, raising a grandchild, no TV, no car, limited electricity, clothing hanging on a clothing line in the cold....
Connor watched his father take the food.
And I sat in the back of the car and quietly wept.
I wept because I could do more...I will do more...
because I have so much....
because I was so proud of Darren...
because Darren was setting a humble and kind example...
because Connor said he wanted to give more to them too....

We all went out to eat at a restaurant.
The restaurant was nearly empty.
We saw one family from our church.
We chatted.  They left.
When it was our turn to pay, our waiter said our meal had been paid.
The family from our church had paid for our entire meal before they left.
God’s Blessing circled right around to us instantly.




The meaning of Christmas, not the UPS, not the gifts, not the turkey...
to love as Christ loved us.
Just when I’m about to kill my husband, he does something so darn awesome  I have no choice but to love him. 

Merry Christmas


33.  “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.34.  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” 36. Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?”  Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”  -John:  13.  33-36

No comments:

Post a Comment